Tuesday, June 12, 2007

'The weeds will win because nature bats last' Robert M. Pyle

Each year I spend way too much money at local nurseries. I am also fortunate to have many gardening friends who share the bounty of their beds. I (vicariously, through my husband) lovingly plant our new acquisitions and marvel at our handiwork. Without fail, cleaning the beds out for mulch the following spring always leads to the same question... Is this a weed? I am sure that I have pulled and tossed many beautiful (and costly) plants due to my lack of weedly wisdom.

In the coming months, I will post pictures of the little green culprits in search of answers I so desparately weed... I mean need.

6 comments:

Lesa said...

I totally relate to this!

Every year there's one type of flower that looks very weedlike when it first comes up. Fortunately, I seem to hold back, and am rewarded with a lovely flower later on.

atwoods said...

I have the opposite problem here. I only occasionally spot what I think might be a plant in a yard of weeds. I will try to find inspiration here tho to turn that around.

Dolores said...

It's easy at our place - everything is a weed!

Pint-size Bookworm said...

Oh my goodness...so glad to hear I'm not the only one. The sad thing is that I know I'll head out to the garden tomorrow and just pull up everything I don't know.

SusanK said...

I am reminded of how my children delighted in giving me bouquets of dandelions...they thought they were beautiful yellow flowers.

Victoria said...

Your blog is pure poetry to me, Beth. And even though I don't care for poetry, I truly enjoyed reading yours!